The library has become an important part of our routine. During the school year we go to the library every week for story time. Miss Joyce is the story teller. I'm not sure why we call her Miss Joyce because she is a Mrs with children and grandchildren of her own. I would like to think it's because of her youthful energy. Her smile and laugh just make you feel warm and fuzzy inside. She is an absolute sweetheart. I'm sure I have a picture of her here some place that I'll have to post.
Following story time during the school year we go to the park and Teagan plays with his friends and cousins. In the summer we take a break. Mostly because it is just too hot to go to the park after library in the summer. So we pick our own day to go and get new books. Teagan now has his own library card that he is quite proud of. Some days he insists on picking his own books with no help and other days he would rather I just pick them.
Now that I am too tired the first and last part of the day to do much I've started coming home with stacks of books too. I'm quite the reader. Jade mostly will run around pulling books down then throws her arms up with a whoop. We shush her and she shushes us back. I love it when she crawls up to listen to stories with us. We find some really fun ones. Last nights book was about a pack rat that happened to collect petrified poop among his other treasures.
We love our books. When Teagan was Jade's age he had no interest in reading stories but I kept trying and now he is terribly sad if he has to go to bed without a book or two or three. Teagan and I read the Ralph S. Mouse series last year. I was so excited to read him chapter books and more excited to see him using his imagination. Not needing the pictures. It was wonderful. I am dying to read to him about The Littles. That was one of my favorite books when I was a child. I even made their house out of a cinder block for a class project.
A new school year is beginning and sadly I won't be able to take Teagan to story time. Jade and I will be going though. I'm sure at first she will not be very interested in sitting down and listening to the stories but I think it will be good for her to get used to just being there. I think it's really helped get Teagan ready for school teaching him there are times to sit and listen quietly. Jade also seems to really enjoy books already so it will be great.
By the way Teagan participated in the summer reading program this summer. He was so excited about it and did a great job. Here is the article from the Palo Verde Times announcing the winners. Teagan won the Grand Prize. We will be doing that again next year as well. Here is the link to the article. I have no idea how to make it a live think. If you know how be sure to leave me a comment with some help. I tried the insert link and something went wrong. http://paloverdevalleytimes.com/main.asp?Search=1&ArticleID=9790&SectionID=74&SubSectionID=114&S=1
Saturday, August 16, 2008
Library Time
Posted by The Teagan Times at 8:24 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






2 comments:
Thanks for the plethora of posts! I enjoy them! I'm looking forward to attempting story time as well, and the park is always fun. On a side note: I'm watching 'Pride and Prejudice', no I didn't say 'Bride and Prejudice'.
Oh my goodness I totally forgot about the movie. It was painful. LOL!
Post a Comment