Thursday, October 29, 2009

Derick, Fredrick & Sons


Derick & Fredrick are twins.  Well obviously.  Derick was Ian's roommate at Iowa State.  When I met these two when I went to Iowa State my second year I remember Ian introducing us and then giving Ian the look of approval.  Too sweet!  They both came to the U.S. from Ghana, Africa in the 90's to live with thier dad in Chicago and spoke no english at the time.  By the time college came around they were studying engineering and architecture.  Needless to say they are smart cookies.  We have been to Chicago with them and they came her for a few holidays.  They came for our wedding.  Actually they were in the wedding.  They have been good friends. 

They moved to Arizona after college with their girlfriends Penny and Jaime.  Even being that close we don't see them enough and it's all our fault.  They came for a vist right before they were leaving for Fort Hood.  They are going to be deployed to Afghanistan anytime now.  When they came they brought their boys Donavon and Jayden.  They both have baby girls too.  Unfortunately we didn't get to see them yet.  We need to get over to Arizona and met the girls while they are gone.  This visit I was actually having trouble telling them apart.  That has never been a problem before.  Derick's features are sharper and Fredrick's more round and Fredrick talks in a softer voice that sounds a bit different than Derick's.  It had just been so long that I would think I was talking to Fredrick and I would be talking to his brother. 

Ian and I were headed out of town when all the Fort Hood news was breaking.  It took us abut 45 minutes of listening to it on the radio to come to the realization that the boys were there.  I scrambled on my blackberry to google and confirm that is where they went.  Once we knew we called Fredrick's wife Jaime and found that Fredrick has just let the common area where it all started 15 minutes prior to the shooting and he and Derick were both safe.  God is watching over them.  I have no doubt they will be protected in Afghanistan.  We will miss you guys.  See you when you get home.
 





0 comments: