Saturday, October 22, 2011

1000 Words


1000 words is what this picture says.  Let me first say this picture was taken after catching up with him.  He was long gone.  This is my children.  I am so grateful that they are independent.  I'm glad they are comfortable with themselves.  It makes me feel a bit like a "good parent" that they don't aren't scared to venture on their own.  That being said I also am sometimes fearful that they would just keep walking.  Perhaps they will backpack around for a while.  Find themselves.  Get a job and start raising a family.  AT FIVE YEARS OLD!

I tested this with Jade when she was about Gauge's age.  We were at the park and she went wandering off like she always did at that age.  She never looked back and she never stopped.  What is interesting is they all have had their blankies.  Gauge nearly missed that phase and he is probably the least independent of all the kids.  Now that he is interested in trains and trucks he must have both his train and truck blanket.  I've gotten looks and comments about this blankie love but I'm a firm believer in a transitional object.  I have no worries about these little people becoming fully functional adults.  Sometimes I think they already are.

0 comments: