Monday, July 20, 2009

Goodnight Jade

As I mentioned in our vacation post we had a bed on order for Jade. I want to leave her room just like it is when the baby gets here but we need the crib. Teagan was so excited to put together Jade's bed. Ian had some catching up to do so he was gone most of the day on Friday. Teagan waited and waited for him to get back so he could help put together sister's bed. Jade wanted to help to as you can see from the pictures. Excuse the mess. We just dropped everything in the living room when we got home. :)

Jade would stick bolts in every little space she could find.
Headboard check!
Jade like balancing on the planks.
As Ian was taking the crib apart to move out of Jade's room I moved the mattress onto the bed. Jade watched cartoons in the living room in here new bed.
Now in her room the kids played in it.
As I was snapping pictures I realised I haven't really documented her room since we moved. It used to be a really pretty green in the old house with big white trim windows. Here all the white looks a little stark but it's still cute. Plus when you get free rent and are asked not to paint, you don't paint! The changing table will go into the baby's room as well. Santa told me Jade is going to get a kitchen for Christmas. That will go perfectly on that wall. So here is Jade's room.

Okay so I catch episodes of Supernanny online sometimes. I used to be a nanny myself so I relate to the caring for other people's kids thing. One episode was getting the kids to sleep in their own beds. Our kids sleep in their own beds from birth. Occasionally when Ian was out of town I would let Teagan sleep with me but not often. When Teagan was a baby we would put him in his crib and let him get to sleep on his own. He cried a little for the first few weeks but then just stopped. Jade never stopped. She cries every time we put her down so I knew a bed she could get out of would be an issue.

I wish I had a video of what happened. We tried to follow Supernanny's advice. Which was when they get out of bed tell them lovingly it's time for bed and put them back. Then when they get out again tell them firmly that it's time for bed. Then when they get out of bed again say nothing and direct them to bed. I kid you not, Jade got out of bed at least 75 times before she went to sleep. The weird thing was she wasn't upset. She didn't seem to be trying to be defiant. She was just getting out of bed because she could because we would turn her around and she would get in bed and want to bed tucked in.

Jade got to sleep over an hour past her bedtime. The next day nap time was the same problem. Finally I told Ian we needed to do something different. So we shut her door. That made her mad. Jade cried and banged on the door but eventually and much more quickly she got in bed and went to sleep. So that is how it goes now. It's unpleasant but we aren't sure what else to do until she understands she needs to stay in bed. When she gets to sleep we put a finger guard on her door so she can leave her room herself in the morning. It's not the ideal situation but she sleeps in her big girl bed and is happy in the morning. Goodnight Jade!

1 comments:

Ruth said...

It's great that you're getting her adjusted to a new bed now rather than trying to deal with it along with all the changes of a new baby. You guys are so smart!