Saturday, September 20, 2008

Living On The River

In the midst of all our sickness we had a visitor. A cute little green visitor with the most beautiful markings. Ian was out working in the yard even though he didn't feel well. This grass waits for no one. While he was weed eating he hit this little guy and knocked him onto his back. He was not harmed. In fact he was pretty friendly for a snapping turtle. Ian brought him inside and he played with him for a bit.


Turtles are supposed to be slow but not this guy. My theory is the tortoise and the hare story was actually about a snapping turtle and a hare. History has lost that important fact because when he got going he was hard to catch. Jade of course wanted to eat him. I can hardly blame her. I mean he was snack size. Teagan thought he was awesome and entertained the idea of keeping him. I might have let him had he not been a snapping turtle. I've never been snapped by one but I'm guessing it doesn't feel good.


He was about the size of a silver dollar and just so pretty. The pictures do not do him justice. He kept his eyes on us and didn't seem scared only cautous. He never tucked his head in completely. You could tell by his eyes that he was pretty relaxed. We enjoyed his visit and sent him back to his river bank home. He brought a little joy to our day filled with coughs and sniffles.

1 comments:

B.T.B.B. said...

I had a little turtle,
His name was Tiny Tim.
I put him in the bathtub
to see if he could swim.
He drank up all the water.
He ate the bar of soap.
And now he's sick in bed,
with a bubble in his throat!

Just thougt the kids would like this cute little rhyme. Brad taught it to me years ago.