Monday, March 23, 2009

The Dentist


The kids had a dentist appointment Friday. Teagan has been going to this dentist since he was Jade's age but this was Jade's first visit. Teagan wasn't having the best day. He was very unhappy about being pulled out of school early. Some people were coming to talk to the kids about health and they had some really cool goodies they were going to give the kids. I really don't blame him for being upset. I would be too.

When we were almost to the dentist (an hour and a half trip) Teagan started complaining about his ears hurting. He has been really stuffed up for days. I'm wasn't surprised his ears were bothering him. When we were almost there he was so upset and crying saying it hurt. We stopped at a store first and got some chewable tylenol. That seemed to help the pain fairly quickly but he still didn't feel well.

After some difficulty with Jade in the waiting room (mostly fits because she wanted tylenol too) we finally got in. Teagan was thrilled to watch spongebob from his dentist chair but was in no mood to try to be friendly with the hygienist. Jade was intrigued with the whole process as she cleaned his teeth. She held her mouth open the whole time as if she were being worked on.


They were ready for Jade in the room across the hall. Ian went with her because I can't get her to open her mouth but he seems to have some magical power. I swear if he had to go away for a month her back teeth would rot out because she won't let me brush them properly. I resort to nose plugging when I'm really desperate. I snapped a few pictures while they waited. Apparently Jade did a great job. Her favorite tool was the suction wand (not sure the official name).




Then Dr. Jurgenson came in. He is amazing. We gladly wait a month and drive an hour and a half to see him. He worked on Teagan when he was Jade's age and since as I said before. We brought Teagan in when he was about two because we couldn't figure out why his two front teeth were rotting out. Xrays showed they were rotting from the end of the root down.

Another dentist we had gone to before told us it was bottle rot. Of course he didn't bother to actually check and didn't believe us that bottle rot was not possible. Apparently that dentist was not aware of how paranoid first time moms can be. He had no idea I knew every cause of it and avoided them all. So Dr. Jurgenson was our savior and made us feel like the good parents we were trying our best to be. He showed us it was nothing we could have done anything about.

He checked Teagan's teeth and this time and he did have two cavities. That wasn't surprising. We had been watching one for over a year. Plus the poor child has had terrible luck with his teeth so far. Jade was next. She sat in the chair by herself to be examined. She did well and her teeth were perfect. Thank goodness.

We got her out of the chair and Teagan ran down the hall to get her a toy. Dr. Jurgenson was so impressed with Teagan because they only had girl toys left. He thought it was really sweet of him to think of his sister rather than be upset they didn't have toys for him. So did we. Jade after accepting her toy climbed back into the dentist chair for another go.

She was not happy to be removed. We went and made our next appointments then we were done. After a short trip to Walmart we went for chinese food and headed home. It was a nice day. I love going to the dentist.

1 comments:

Lyndsay said...

Im glad to see you are back at blogging. Im sure its not fun being sick but hopefully it will pass soon! :)