Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Our Garden

I’ve wanted to do a post about our garden for a long time. I take pictures and by the time I get around to blogging I’ve planted something new or it has grown so much it looks completely different. Can I just tell you how much I love my garden? Notice it’s “my garden” not our garden as the title suggests. Ian built the boxes for me and mixed the soil. Under my direction because I wanted everything to be by the book so I wouldn’t have any problems. I planted everything, watered it and just stared at it daily.


I get so excited when my seeds sprout. I love gardening from seeds. It is much more rewarding to start from scratch. It’s just plain amazing that these plants have grown from just a little spec of seed. I’m very partial to my lettuce because I planted a mix and they are just so pretty. I kneel down and look closely at the leaves. It’s amazing how they can all be lettuce but be so very different. Today I planted more peas and sugarsnap peas.
Tomorrow I’m going to plant some herbs.


Sometime in the next few weeks we are building another box. I really want to make a garden for Teagan. A little box with four squares that he can plant whatever he wants in. Jade is not ready. She would love nothing more than to use my garden for a sandbox. I am very partial to this square foot gardening method. I have plucked a grand total of five weeds from my garden. I’m confident I wouldn’t have had one had I not insisted Ian dig into the soil. Which is not by the book by the way and just for that reason. Here is one of the pictures I took before of the garden. See how much it's grown.


Plus we have a small space to work in. Were this our house I could til up the yard and plant a big garden but it’s not. So out of respect I don’t want to damage the lawn too much. Our garden boxes are in an area the grass wasn’t growing well anyway. This method is a more costly up front but you save so much in seeds and next planting I won’t have to rebuild boxes. Plus I hear this method produces far more than traditional gardening. We will see. By the way if anyone out there has any scrap wood lying around that is at least six inches wide call me and I’ll take it off your hands yesterday.

3 comments:

Angie Hermanson said...

I just got caught up with your posts since the hen house. Great job on the garden! Honestly, you make me want to grow one too. On the Jade post, gotta love potty training! And I agree with the snow. It's nice that we can see it by choice. Looked like a fun family event.

LeAnn said...

Nice Garnden. We planted in five gallon buckets last year and it kind of worked. You've inspired us to try again this year.

Barnard Family said...

that is sooo awesome. I totally don't have a green thumb....but you make it look so easy. Maybe I could do it!