Sunday, January 18, 2009

No Hens In The House


We are a bit sad that our little hen home has no inhabitants. We set off Saturday to go buy some hens. We planned on getting chicks but after talking with the Barnards we decided to take their advice and just get full grown hens. We went and got some straw for bedding first and then set off for Broadway gardens. I was very excited to finally get our hens.


When we got there they had no hens. Well that is okay if we must get chicks that will be fun too. Umm no they didn't have any chicks either and won't until some time in February. They said it's been very difficult to get their hands on them anyway. So we risk the chance of not being able to get them in February either if someone else gets there first. *Sigh*


Now I've been around chickens all my life but I really don't know anything about them. My maternal grandparents had a very large operation for raising meat chickens for Tyson in Arkansas. My paternal grandparents always had a good sized hen house. I still don't know the first thing. I'm thinking of ordering chicks online but I don't really know how to care for them and the site I'm looking at wants you to order 25 at a time. The good thing is you can get mixed breeds.


So I'm looking for advice here from you seasoned hen raisers. What should we do? We obviously want to get started now because if we start with chicks it will be another six months before we have eggs. If I do have to start with chicks I would love some advice on taking care of them as well as any ideas for getting rid of the extras. Our hens house is lonely. Advice is welcome and needed.

4 comments:

Kollen Marchant said...

Okay so i really just don't know you that well. You have worms and want hens. Wow you are amazing. Oh and I don't know anything about hens sorry no advice from this chick.

Angie Hermanson said...

My advice is talk to Rachel again and also Cindy. I here Cindy has an easy way of getting rid of the unwanted hens, so to speak.

Lyndsay said...

We just ordered baby chicks! Reece ordered them off Murray McMurray. If you have questions Im sure Reece would know they answer, they have raised chickens many-a times. What exactly do you want to know? We ordered them mostly so they would eat the bugs around our house and the eggs are definitely a plus. I think Reece had to order 25 at a time, but he is giving most of them away, we are only keeping about 5.

Lyndsay said...

I talked to Reece and he says we will probably have extra chickens. I dont know exactly how many you are going to want but let me know if you are interested or if you guys will even be able to come out this way to get them. :)