Remember this picture? Well this was in August when Jade was missing her brother. She sat in his legos while he was playing to get his attention. I bet you missed a very important person in that picture other than Jade. I would like to introduce you to Blankie. That bright pink thing she is clutching is Blankie. It was once just one of her many blankets but has now become her best friend.
As you have seen Jade and I went over to visit Mitchell and Kelsey in Quartzsite to do some fun stuff. As we were gathering up to leave Jade ran around with her blanket. Mitchell then wanted his blanket because he was really excited to take a nap. In watching all the cuteness I didn't notice that Jade had dropped her blanket. We drove all the way home and as we were getting out of the car I noticed it wasn't there. Ahhhh!
My sweet little girl is pretty much comfortless. If she is upset you can't really love her or distract her. If she is in a mood there is nothing you can do. Don't even try to hold her. She doesn't suck her thumb or play with her hair. Never shown the slightest interest in a pacifier. No soothing behaviors whatsoever but she loves her blanket. There have been a few times she has dunked it in the toilet or the bath tub. I take those as opportunities to wash it. Oh my goodness she is completely out of sorts until she got that blanket back.
When I realized what happened I called Kelsey and sure enough it was there on the floor. I asked them to drop it by when they came to town. I thought to myself, maybe this will be good for Jade. Well it wasn't good for anybody. She was miserable. Spending the rest of the day wandering around screaming. Jade went to bed unhappy with the substitute blanket. She woke in the morning upset. Usually she shoves the blanket at me first thing. You are not to pick her up without already having the blanket in hand. I picked up the sub par blanket and she shoved it out of my hand and I would swear she gave it a dirty look.
I just kept telling myself that it was okay. She would forget about it. Nope the rest of the day wandering and crying. I couldn't get anything done. Worse than that I wanted to start following her around crying. That is when I began planning. Okay Teagan has practice but if we have everything ready by the time we go to Quartzsite and come back we can go straight to practice. Sounds like a plan. Luckily Kelsey was home. Could you imagine if they were out of town? I'm sorry but I might have had to break in. I really couldn't believe I was driving over there just to get a blanket. I felt a bit dumb but with Ian being gone on a hunting trip for four days I was not looking to make life harder on myself.
When Jade got her blankie back she hugged it and made the cutest little lovey sounds and said thank you. Although I felt like a bit of a parental sell out driving that far only to retrieve a piece of fabric seeing her so happy was worth it. Now we have our old Jade back. All the way home the Teagan and Jade had blanket wars. Tug of war and catch the blanket. Kelsey suggests finding the fabric and making a fake. I'm trying. We already went to Joann's on a wild goose chase because we thought the fabric was called one thing but it really wasn't. Not only that but I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to find the same hot pink.
This beloved blanket was a gift from Cindy Reid. I haven't thought to ask if she has anymore of the same fabric. I'll put that on my to do list. In the mean time her daddy is pretty sure we are going to have to call her Linus. Who am I to talk though. I also have just one blanket I can sleep with. Mine is a quilt I made when I was twelve. It's actually held up really well. Plus I bring my blanket and pillow to hotels or I'm not getting any sleep. Teagan used to have a John Deere blanket he loved but grew out of it. It's still here. I pull it out if we go for a long trip. Ian and I use separate blankets because he can't sleep with mine and I can't sleep with his. Plus I steal the covers. So I guess we all have our blankies in this family. Most of us just don't scream when we leave it some where.
Sunday, November 9, 2008
Blankie Oh Blankie
Posted by The Teagan Times at 1:56 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






4 comments:
You are totally a blankie family! That's funny! I didn't know you had one too. Who are you to judge her blankieness? :) Sorry we weren't headed into town sooner so you wouldn't have had to deal with all the craziness.
Adam and I sleep with separate blankets too! Haha, how funny.
My Niah has her blankie! She will take no substitute. She is so cute with her blanket. She is old enough now that she leaves it on her bed when she is not on her bed. Oh the woes we have gone through around here for "the blankie".
My sister was addicted to squares of tricot "silkies". As we tried to break her of the habit, we'd "forget" them at grandma's, but the next week when we went to visit she'd always find the "lost" silky. I think she must have had a sixth sense. I even have a niece who would reach up her mom's shirt to feel her silkies. Kids are crazy!
Post a Comment